We’ve all heard of personal injury attorneys, but until you need one, not many of us have any experience in working with one and exactly what an experienced attorney can do for you.
At the Law Office of Nicholas E. Tzaneteas we feel it’s important to know as much as you can about the attorney/client experience so that you can make informed decisions when and if the time arises when you or someone you love needs the help of a legal professional.
Our Brooklyn lawyers are experienced in every aspect of personal injury law, including:
- Automobile Accidents
- Ceiling Collapses
- Construction Accidents
- Dog Bites
- Medical Malpractice
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Police Brutality
- Premise Liability
- Truck Accidents
- Train Accidents
- Uber and Lyft Accidents
The most common damages in lawsuits are:
- Medical bills and expenses, including future care and treatment
- Temporary or permanent rehabilitation costs
- Costs of physical and occupational therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Loss of career or lost future wages
- Permanent injury or disability
- Home and vehicle modifications (such as wheelchair ramps and lifts)
- Mental anguish and emotional duress
Some of the most common reasons you may need a lawyer in Brooklyn include auto accidents and premise liability accidents. Premise Liability is the liability a landowner has for injuries and accidents which occur on their property, which they are required by law to keep safe and properly maintained for all people. This is especially true for properties with people living in them. Landlords have a responsibility to keep apartments in good repair, including all stairs and railings, providing ample lighting, and protecting residents from mold and water damage.
Here are a few Premise Liability cases we have won for our clients:
- Our client was a 21-year-old male who was walking down the sidewalk when he tripped and fell over an area that was completely missing a sewer grate, hurting his right leg and lower back. Even after months of treatment, he required surgery on his lower back and then additional rehabilitation. He ended up being permanently disabled due to his injuries. A jury in Brooklyn found that the City of New York was responsible for the incident and our client was awarded $4,935,000 in compensation.
- Our client was an unemployed male who tripped and fell on a broken step, causing a serious lower back injury. The injury required spinal surgery and the case settled for $1,800,000 at trial covering our client’s medical bills and treatments.
- Our client was working in a building when he slipped and fell and hurt his legs. As a direct result, our client had to undergo three separate surgeries and eventually was unable to return to work. He was awarded $800,000 to cover his medical expenses, ongoing care, and lost wages.
- Our client was a 58-year-old female. She was walking down the stairwell in her apartment building, when she tripped and fell, injuring her leg. A jury found the landlord responsible for the disrepair and our client was awarded $380,000 for her medical expenses and pain and suffering.
Another common type of accident in Brooklyn are automobile and truck accidents. According to the New York State Department of Health, there are about 1100 deaths on average every single year due to automobile accidents. This kills 5.6 out of every 100,000 New Yorkers. When you or a loved one has been involved in a car or truck accident in Brooklyn, you need a lawyer who understands the law and knows who and what is liable in different types of cases.
Here are a few Auto Accident cases we have won:
- Our client, a 58-year-old female bus driver, was hit head-on by another vehicle and sustained injuries to her neck, lower back, shoulder, and knee. She has become permanently disabled and has had to undergo four separate surgeries so far. She was unable to return to work. She was awarded $4,300,000 in compensation for lost wages, medical expenses, and more.
- Our client, a 49-year-old woman, was in the passenger seat of a car which was hit by a box truck. As a result of the accident, our client had significant neck, back, and shoulder pain. She went to the Emergency Room for treatment, and had to start physical therapy. It was not successful and our client ended up with an aggravated neck condition and had a cervical fusion and surgery on her shoulder. A Brooklyn jury found the trucking company 100% responsible for the accident and awarded our client $2,000,000 for pain and suffering, medical expenses, and lost wages.
- Our client was a 50-year-old man who was driving his vehicle and was rear-ended by another car. As a result of the accident, he had injuries to his lower back, hip, and knee. After therapy and treatment failed to fix his injuries, he had to undergo a lower back fusion and separate hip surgery to repair the damaged ligaments. He was eventually able to return to work. After four days of testimony in court, the case settled for $1,953,102 in our client’s favor.
Medical malpractice is a another area of expertise at our firm. Medical malpractice cases usually fall into one of several types, such as negligence, failure to diagnose, surgical errors, and errors with medications and prescriptions. When making a claim against a doctor or healthcare professional, we must be able to prove not only that the error happened, but that it caused you harm or injury. There are typically multiple people or parties involved in these cases. Birth injuries such as Erb’s Palsy, Cerebral Palsy, and brain damage are also included in medical malpractice. Having an effective and experienced Brooklyn attorney on your side to help you navigate the complicated and nuanced world of medical malpractice cases is extremely important.
In New York City, construction accidents are a huge concern because of the frequency with which they happen. Construction is considered the second most dangerous job in America, with mining coming in first. Construction workers are the backbone of New York, working to repair and beautify our city at all hours and in all weather.
When you are injured in a preventable accident on the construction site, you deserve to be compensated for your medical treatments and any lost wages you incur while recovering. Negligence is a serious offense, and if you are injured as a result of someone else’s recklessness, ignorance, or negligence, we are going to help you get what you deserve from the person or company responsible.
One of our most recent cases involved injuries our client sustained after falling off of a ladder while at work on a construction site. When he fell, he severely injured his wrist and re-injured a prior back injury. He ended up having multiple wrist surgeries and surgery to his lower back, and is now permanently disabled. We were able to settle his case for $2,250,000 in our client’s favor, which will pay for medical bills, ongoing treatment, pain and suffering, and lost wages.
What are the most common types of on-the-job construction site accidents?
- Falling from ladders, including defective ones.
- Falling from or being injured on scaffolding from defective or insufficient equipment and supplies.
- Falling through gaps in floors, unmarked or uncovered holes.
- Failure to provide or provide adequate safety equipment and materials.
- Injuries in, around, or from aerial lifts – very dangerous pieces of equipment!
- Electrical accidents, such as those due to faulty wiring, failure to shut off power to areas where electricians are working, or other defective or malfunctioning equipment.
- Accidents involving heavy machinery, such as forklifts, cranes, and more.
No matter where you have been injured or what type of injury you sustained, it is important to get in touch with an experienced Brooklyn attorney immediately who can assess your case and fight for your right to receive fair compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, ongoing therapies, and more.
Contact Law Office of Nicholas E. Tzaneteas to get the best lawyer in Brooklyn on your side.