Brooklyn Construction Accident Lawyer
The New York City area is booming. New buildings go up on a near-daily basis, and construction projects ranging from road repairs to building renovations take place throughout the NYC urban environment. It can be said that construction workers are the lifeblood of our city, yet they face significant risks of injury on the job. If you or a loved one is a construction worker and has been injured through no fault of your own, you may be eligible for significant financial compensation.
The Law Office of Nicholas E. Tzaneteas can help. As NYC’s premier construction accident attorney, we have helped injured clients recover millions of dollars in judgements and settlements.
Construction Accidents: Common Sources of Injury
Construction workers often face difficult or even hazardous conditions on the job. These conditions sometime lead to injury, especially if the recklessness, ignorance, or negligence on the part of others cause the injury. Common accidents in construction areas include:
• Falling from ladders and scaffolding, particularly defective or improperly-maintained ladders and scaffolding.
• Falling through openings or gaps in flooring, unmarked holes, or uncovered tripping hazards.
• Electrical injuries, including electrocutions and severe burns from faulty or damaged wiring or from failure to properly disconnect electrical service before electricians complete their work. Defective and malfunctioning equipment often lead to electrical injuries as well.
• Heavy machinery accidents and injuries from machines like cranes, forklifts, dump trucks, and earth-moving equipment.
• Injuries resulting from the use of improperly-maintained aerial lifts.
• Injuries from failure to provide or maintain proper safety equipment, including hard hats, welding face shields, safety harnesses, and similar protective gear.
• Injuries from poorly-marked hazards or inadequate lighting in work areas.
Injuries may be minor, or they may have life-altering consequences, requiring expensive medical treatment and long-term rehabilitation in order for the injured worker to recover. Some injuries may lead to death; about 20 construction workers are killed in New York each year on average.
New York has a series of labor laws designed to protect construction workers from dangerous or unsafe conditions in the workplace. Unfortunately, negligence or neglect in the workplace, or ignorance of these labor laws, have led to worker injuries and even deaths.
Do You Have A Construction Injury Claim?
Construction workers in the greater New York City area have specific rights and obligations under municipal and state labor laws. According to the New York State Workers’ Compensation Board, construction workers injured on the job are required to:
• Seek medical help immediately. Emergency medical treatment may be needed; otherwise, any medical attention must be authorized by the state Workers’ Compensation Board.
• Notify supervisors about the injury itself and how it may have been caused as soon as possible.
• Follow medical professional instructions for recovery until cleared to return to work.
If you are injured in a construction area, and you believe that your injury was the result of the actions, inaction, or negligence of others, you may have a legal claim. In order to preserve your rights, take the following actions after an injury:
• Record the scene of the accident and equipment present at the scene with photographs, if possible.
• Document all of your injuries, including photos and medical records.
• Keep all medical records and any other documentation related to the injury, including records from employers.
• Obtain the contact information of anyone who may have witnessed the injury
• Call the Law Office of Nicholas E. Tzaneteas immediately.
Contact a Brooklyn Construction Accident Lawyer Today
Remember that you have specific rights if you have been injured. Our law firm can help you preserve those rights and fight on your behalf. We have many years of experience in dealing with insurance companies and employers. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, including medical expenses and lost wages. There may be time limitations regarding injury claims – call today to speak to our legal professionals or reach out online.