A serious automobile accident can be a traumatic and difficult experience for anyone to deal with, and even more so when you aren’t sure who is at fault, or if you are injured and deserve compensation.
If you have lived or worked in New York City, you have seen how bad the traffic gets! Car accidents happen daily in Manhattan and can result in serious injuries and even death. Did you know that auto accidents are among the most common causes of serious injury and death in the United States each year?
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident in NYC, you and they may be eligible for compensation for any damages and losses you’ve suffered, including medical bills. To get the maximum amount of money from your personal injury suit, you’ll be wanting the help of a dedicated New York Car Accident Attorney who has experience in this specific type of law.
We will help you get financial compensation and aid for the following after being injured in a car accident in New York:
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Physical therapy
- Property damage and loss
- Lost wages
- Wrongful death
Motor vehicle accident resulting in deaths are actually on the rise. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration focuses on safety concerns facing all motorist and bicyclists in major metropolitan areas like NYC, and they found that in 2012, there were over 265 deaths in New York City alone due to car crashes.
People who have been involved in a car accident know the challenges of working with insurance carriers while recovering from their injuries, which can be from any type of car accident, such as a fender-bender, a T-bone, or a head-on collision.
Types of car accident injuries include:
- Neck pain and whiplash
- Fractures and broken bones
- Concussions and other head injuries
- Bruises, contusions, lacerations, and more.
The types of injury sustained in the accident will vary depending on the “mechanism of injury,” which mean what type of physical forces were in play at that exact time. Influencing factors of the mechanism of injury include things such as:
- the speed of the vehicle
- the force of the impact
- placement and angle of impact
- positions of the driver and any passengers in the car at the time of impact
- seat belts and/or airbags
The Law Offices of Nicholas Tzaneteas can help you and tell you what to do when injured in a car accident, including taxi accidents. First of all, we can help relieve your stress and worry and know that we will do everything in our power to assist you and get you the compensation you deserve.
The most common pieces of evidence that we will look for and use are:
- Witness testimony
- Photos of the scene of the accident
- Police reports from the accident scene
- Insurance company reports
- Medical bills and expenses, including therapy and follow up treatments
- Video evidence, if any
- Accident reconstruction
Car accident claims and lawsuits are among the most common types of civil tort cases filed. Auto accidents are the type of tort law that involves negligence. Negligence is defined as failure to exercise the care toward others which a reasonable or prudent person would do in the circumstances, or take action which such a reasonable person would not.
Despite many advancements in technology and very significant safety improvements in vehicles and infrastructure, such as the design of bridges, roads, guardrails, and lighting, car accidents remain very, very common. Of course, not every car accident will result in claims or litigation. When nobody is injured or the injuries aren’t considered serious, the no-fault laws of New York will generally govern any bodily injury claims and restrict recovery of compensation or settlement. The more serious the injury is that you sustained, the more likely it is that a successful claim will be made and a settlement or favorable verdict reached.
The most common causes of car accidents are:
- Driver error, also known as driver negligence. This can include things like driving while intoxicated or under the influence, failing to yield the right of way, careless or reckless driving, tailgating, ignoring or failing to see traffic signs or signals, and more.
- Distracted driving, which includes such things as driving while texting or talking on the phone, eating, drinking, putting on makeup, playing with the radio, rubbernecking at accidents or emergency vehicles, and other distractions in and out of the driver’s car.
- Failure to maintain or service a vehicle correctly. When a car or truck owner fails to do regular service and maintenance on their vehicle, it can lead to catastrophic and even fatal results on the roadway. Doing regular maintenance on a vehicle is part of being a responsible car owner, and is a responsibility that needs to be taken seriously.
- A defect in the road, which is something external and not generally the driver’s fault specifically. Roadway negligence examples are badly designed roadways, inaccurate r poor means of controlling traffic can contribute to accidents, and construction materials or debris can be in the roadway causing or contributing to accidents as well.
- Vehicle manufacturer defect, also known as product liability. Manufacturing defects can include tire blowout issues, brake and mechanical failures, and other non-maintenance related automobile failures. Often, a design or manufacturing defect will not cause the actual accident but can make the injuries that resulted from the accident worse than they would have been otherwise, which is a liability.
If you or a loved one have been in a car, truck, or taxi accident in New York City, and have sustained injuries, or even had a fatality, you need to call the Law Offices of Nicholas Tzaneteas as soon as possible and get a qualified car accident lawyer, and help navigating the often confusing world of auto accident litigations. We will get you the compensation you deserve.