We have won millions of dollars on behalf of our clients, and we will continue to fight for your health and safety in New York City. For almost 20 years the Law Office of Nicholas Tzaneteas has earned a reputation of being tenacious and intelligent, and has taken on The City of New York and its municipalities, insurance companies, and corporations to make sure our clients are fairly compensated for the injuries they have sustained due to the negligence of these entities.
In the article, we are going to discuss different types of cases, laws, and what you can do to protect yourself when it comes to construction accidents, premise liability, medical malpractice, and police brutality incidents.
As a construction worker you are potentially in danger every time you go to work. When your daily work includes high-risk tasks like operating heavy machinery, climbing and working on temporary scaffolding, repairing weak structures and infrastructure, climbing and working from tall heights, and even sometimes working underground, you are constantly at risk of injury and even death. And if something should happen to your body, how can you continue to make a living?
When a construction worker is in an accident, or if a passer-by is injured by construction equipment or workers, you need an experienced construction accident lawyer to take your case. We can help determine if you have a case, and if so, we will fight on your behalf to make sure that all negligent parties involved cover lost wages, medical bills, physical therapy, pain and suffering and more.
New York Labor Law section 200, 240, and 241 are in place to protect construction workers, and you will want a construction accident attorney who understands those laws thoroughly.
Some ways you can be injured on the job include:
- Falling debris
- Collapsing ceilings
- Falling from ladders
- Malfunctioning or defective equipment or machinery
- Broken equipment or tools
- Weak infrastructure
- Operator error
- Broken or weak scaffolding
- Falling into improperly covered or secured openings or holes
If and when you are injured on a construction site, you should seek immediate medical attention. You should also document the scene of the accident and your injuries, and get contact information from eyewitnesses. We will take care of interfacing with the insurance companies, obtaining your medical records, interviewing the witnesses and more.
We recently won $2,250,000 for our client, who fell off a ladder while working at a construction site. He had multiple wrist surgeries and re-injured his low back from a prior accident, which then required surgery. He continued to receive treatment, but is unfortunately permanently disabled.
Premise liability refers to being injured while on someone else’s property AND it being the property owners fault, due to negligence. This most often refers to slip or trip and fall injuries, but technically includes all unsafe conditions, such as missing or broken stair rails. When you are invited onto someone’s property, you have a reasonable expectation of coming into a safe environment and not being injured.
When these accidents happen, the cases can be challenging because we need to prove that the property owner knew of the dangerous condition or circumstance and neglected or chose not to fix it. You definitely need to speak with an experienced premises liability attorney who has pursued these claims before.
Other accidents that can be premises liability claims are injuries sustained on an amusement park ride or injuries of any kind on other private property. In order to have a case in these instances, you must have been on that property lawfully and not behaving in an unsafe manner. Examples of this include being intoxicated or doing something of your own volition, such as jumping from a roof into a pool and being injured.
Your injuries resulting from premises liability accidents may be anything from a bruise to a broken bone or even more severe. Here are two cases we recently won:
- Our client is a 19-year-old nursing student, who sustained a severe back injury after being struck by a ceiling that fell on her while she was cleaning a bathtub. The ceiling had leaked many times before, and the landlord had been notified but failed to repair it properly. After treatment and multiple therapy visits failed to help relieve the pain, she had back surgery. A jury in Brooklyn awarded a total of $6,894,132 in compensation to our client.
- Our client slipped and fell while working in a NYC building. As a direct result, he underwent three knee surgeries and eventually was told he could no longer work. He was awarded $800,000 to cover his surgeries and lost wages.
Medical malpractice is defined as any act or omission by a physician or healthcare professional that deviates from accepted norms of practice when treating a patient, and that results in an injury. Medical malpractice is a specific subset of tort law that deals with professional negligence.
Misdiagnosis or failure to diagnose major diseases is a form of malpractice and negligence, because often the sooner a disease is caught, the higher likelihood of a full recovery. Especially when reasonable tests should have been run but were not, or when a patient’s request is ignored.
Some of the most common medical malpractice cases include:
- Failure to diagnose cancer or other serious diseases
- Delay to treat or failure to diagnose a medical condition
- Cerebral palsy & brain damage
- Erb’s palsy
- Gynecologic surgical errors and malpractice
- Birth injuries
- Hospital negligence
- Emergency room errors
- Medication errors or wrongly prescribed medications
- Surgical errors & complications
- Anesthesia errors
Medical malpractice is a highly technical type of law and these lawsuits can be extremely difficult to prove as there are so many medical waivers in place when physicians perform operations and procedures. If you or a loved one has been the victim of medical malpractice or think you may have been, reach out to us today. The Law Office of Nicholas Tzaneteas is very experienced in medical malpractice cases and winning fair compensation for our clients. A strong medical malpractice lawyer will understand the medical field, be able to obtain and understand medical records, find and work with expert witnesses, have strong anatomical knowledge and be very versed in medicine.
Motor Vehicle Accidents
According to data released by the New York City Police Department, over 500 collisions involving cars, taxis, and pedestrians happen every day. These numbers of NYC car accidents are pretty staggering and represent a very real threat to the safety of everyone moving around the city on a daily basis. If you find that you have been involved in an accident involving a car or taxi, Immediately focus on your health and safety and get medical attention, but then reach out to a qualified and experienced car accident attorney for assistance.
If you have been injured in any way, including cuts, bruises, broken bones, traumatic brain injury, or anything else, you could have a legitimate claim against the party at fault.
Recent cases we have won:
- Our client, a 49-year-old woman, was seated on the passenger side of a car when the car was struck by a box truck. As a result of the car accident, our client had significant neck, back, and shoulder pain. She went to the Emergency Room and the doctor prescribed a treatment of physical therapy, which did not work. She now has an aggravated neck condition and has had a cervical fusion and surgery on her shoulder since the accident. At trial, the jury found the trucking company 100% responsible, and awarded our client $1,997,776 for pain and suffering, lost wages, and medical bills.
- Our client, a 58-year-old bus driver was hit head on by the defendant’s vehicle. As a result of the accident, the client sustained injuries to the neck, lower back, shoulder, and knee. She went through four painful surgeries and was unable to return to work. She received $4,300,000 in compensation.
- Our client, a 58-year-old Brooklyn woman, was injured in an automobile accident. As a result of the accident, she underwent treatment to her back and knees, and she ultimately had surgery to her knees and a fusion to her lumbar spine. The case settled during trial for $2,800,000 to our client.
- Our client was a 50-year-old Brooklyn man who was rear-ended in an automobile accident. He sustained injuries to his lower back, hip, and knee. After treatment failed to improve his condition, he underwent a lower back fusion and hip surgery to repair ligaments. He was eventually able to resume his job after his surgeries. The case settled in our favor for $1.953,102 after four days of testimony during the trial.
It is important to make a police report following a motor vehicle accident, as well as document any injuries. An experienced motor vehicle lawyer will help you navigate insurance companies, the legal battle, and understand your pain. We will make sure to get you the compensation you deserve, to help you with medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and more.
Contact The Law Office of Nicholas E. Tzaneteas today. You deserve lawyers who will fight for you, and help you throughout the process of your lawsuit — from filing a claim to tracking down witnesses, to listening when you need to be heard. We are here to protect your basic rights as citizens to feel safe in your community.